Blaze closes Pretoria Magistrate’s Court

A blaze that ripped through the third floor of the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court brought the wheels of justice to a halt as officials announced on Wednesday evening that court operations would be suspended.

Staff had to be evacuated after the fire broke out shortly before 2pm.

Firefighters battled for several hours to contain the blaze as much of the roofing structure was tin and timber, which kept on reigniting.

By nightfall there was still visible smoke, but no flames. The roof had collapsed.

Department of Justice spokesperson Tlali Tlali said all staff were safely evacuated without injury.


Tshwane metro fire spokesperson Johan Pieterse said one firefighter was taken to hospital where he was treated for heat exhaustion; he had since been discharged. No other injuries were reported.

“It started at the offices. Everyone was evacuated and no one was injured,” said Pieterse from the scene.

By 5pm the entire top floor of the building was gutted.

Large clouds of smoke ballooned over the city, while firefighters wearing gas masks battled the blaze from platforms raised above the court building.

The cause of the fire was not known.

The new magistrate’s court building was unaffected by the fire.

Pretorius Street and Schubart Streets, flanking the court, were closed as nine fire engines were at the scene. A number of ambulances were also on standby.

The large blaze attracted a huge crowd, who stood behind a police tape barrier and watched as firefighters attempted to prevent the blaze from reaching the bottom floors of the building.

Emergency meeting
Tlali said court management had held an emergency meeting.

Most of the damage was in that part of the court building where the civil litigation court roll for trials and motion applications were dealt with, and these had been suspended until further notice.

He said criminal cases had been temporarily postponed and first-appearance criminal matters would be handled at the Pretoria Central Police Station.

All family matters would be diverted to the Visagie Street court where the traffic court used to sit, and any other matters would be referred to other courts around the city after assessment.

He said there would be officials and marshals to assist and direct members of the public and transport would be made available for people whose cases may have been referred to other courts around the city, including those that could be referred to the Atteridgeville court.

Justice and Constitutional Development Minister Jeff Radebe said: “We urge our law enforcement agencies to work around the clock in order to get to the bottom of the cause of this fire.

“Should any foul play be detected, those responsible for this must be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.” — Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Matric’s exam paper leaked

Some learners in two provinces had access to the maths paper two leak a few hours before they sat for the exam

Thousands of South Africans apply for land online

The department of agriculture has received a plethora of online applications after it released about 500 000 hectares of land last month

The ANC’s clean-up mission is causing a standoff

ANC factions in several provinces are failing to abide by the dictates of the NEC’s decision that leaders who face corruption charges step aside from state and party posts

More North West mayors face recall

The ANC is wielding its axe to clear out ineffective councillors and those facing criminal charges

The PPE bonanza and how ‘flukes’ made people millions

More than R10-billion has been spent on PPE. But healthcare workers say they are not getting enough masks and other gear to keep them safe from Covid-19. Sarah Smit, Paddy Harper and the M&G Data Desk dug into the numbers

The PPE scandal that the Treasury hasn’t touched

Many government officials have been talking tough about dealing with rampant corruption in PPE procurement but the majority won't even release names of who has benefited from the R10-billion spend
Advertising

Subscribers only

Covid-19 surges in the Eastern Cape

With people queuing for services, no water, lax enforcement of mask rules and plenty of partying, the virus is flourishing once again, and a quarter of the growth is in the Eastern Cape

Ace prepares ANC branches for battle

ANC secretary general Ace Magashule is ignoring party policy on corruption-charged officials and taking his battle to branch level, where his ‘slate capture’ strategy is expected to leave Ramaphosa on the ropes

More top stories

See people as individual humans, not as a race

We need to ingrain values of equality in education, businesses, society broadly and religious groups to see people

JJ Rawlings left an indelible mark on Ghana’s history

The air force pilot and former president used extreme measures, including a coup, enforced ‘discipline’ through executions, ‘disappearances’ and floggings, but reintroduced democracy

Sudan’s government gambles over fuel-subsidy cuts — and people pay...

Economists question the manner in which the transitional government partially cut fuel subsidies

Traditional healers need new spaces

Proper facilities supported by well-researched cultural principles will go a long way to improving the image and perception of the practice of traditional medicine
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…