Nato kill dozens of Afghan insurgents

US and other Nato troops killed about 50 insurgents during attacks in Afghanistan on Saturday, calling in air strikes to repel an assault on an outpost in the volatile southeast.

In the largest assault, US troops at a combat outpost in south-eastern Paktika province came under fire from rocket-propelled grenades, gunfire and mortars, the Nato-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said.

“They are still investigating the area. Right now it is 38 insurgents killed,” said US Army Master Sergeant Brian Sipp, a spokesperson at ISAF’s eastern regional command. Another ISAF spokesperson identified the troops involved as American.

There were at least two other attacks in the south and just north of the capital, Kabul, on Friday and Saturday, Afghan and ISAF officials said.

Rising violence and record casualties among foreign troops and civilians are likely to weigh heavily on United States President Barack Obama’s review of his Afghanistan war strategy in December and at a Nato summit in Lisbon next month.

In Paktika, five US troops were wounded when the outpost came under attack, ISAF said. Bodies were reported strewn across the battlefield after air strikes were called in.

Taliban claim responsibility
Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid said the Islamist group had attacked the outpost, claiming that six police outposts had been overrun in the assault.

Speaking by telephone from an undisclosed location, Mujahid said Taliban fighters had inflicted “high casualties” on ISAF and Afghan forces but gave no further details. He said eight Taliban fighters had been killed.

The Taliban often make exaggerated or unconfirmed claims about enemy casualties in such attacks.

In the Taliban stronghold of Helmand in the south, ISAF said its forces killed more than 10 insurgents who had attacked a patrol. The patrol came under small-arms fire and responded with artillery and missiles, it said in a statement.

ISAF troops later found bomb-making equipment and about 10kg of opium, the statement said.

Afghan and ISAF troops also came under attack by insurgents armed with automatic weapons and rocket-propelled grenades while they were building a security checkpoint in Kapisa, north of Kabul, on Friday, ISAF said.

Air strikes were called in to help during a battle lasting several hours.

“Several insurgents were killed and many more wounded from the ground and air,” ISAF said in a separate statement.

The Taliban and other insurgents such as the al-Qaeda-linked Haqqani network have launched a series of brazen assaults on foreign bases and government buildings in the past year in a bid to topple President Hamid Karzai and force out foreign troops.

Afghanistan’s insurgency has spread from the Taliban’s heartland in the south and east to other parts of Afghanistan, including northern provinces and Herat in the west, which had long been considered safer.

Four suicide bombers attacked a United Nations base a week ago in Herat, which had been seen as one of the areas where it could be safe enough to begin transferring security responsibility from ISAF to Afghan forces.

Fighting in Afghanistan’s war is at its most intense since the conflict began in 2001 when US-backed Afghan forces toppled the Taliban. More than 2 000 foreign troops have been killed since the war began, more than half of them in the past two years. – Reuters

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

Meet Doctor Fundile Nyati: South Africa’s own online medical mythbuster

The employee health and wellness specialist is using social media to combat misinformation about Covid-19

Nehawu launches urgent court bid over protective gear for health...

The health workers’ union says the government has rebuffed its attempts to meet about mitigating risks to workers

Stay at home, Cyril said. But what about the homeless?

In Tshwane, forcing homeless people off the street resulted in chaos and the abuse of a vulnerable population. In Durban, a smooth, well-planned operation fared far better

Press Releases

Everyone’s talking about it. Even Kentucky

Earlier this year South African fried chicken fast-food chain, Chicken Licken®, launched a campaign for their wallet-friendly EasyBucks® meals, based on the idea of ‘Everyone’s talking about it.’

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world