DA to lay charges against Yengeni

The Democratic Alliance (DA) said it would lay charges against African National Congress (ANC) veteran Tony Yengeni on Monday after Sunday newspapers revealed that he accepted six company directorships in apparent contravention of the Companies Act.

The Act disqualifies anybody who was jailed for theft, fraud, forgery or perjury from being a company director, unless a high court sets aside the disqualification.

Rapport and City Press reported on Sunday that Yengeni was a director of six companies despite his four-year jail sentence for fraud linked to South Africa’s multibillion-rand arms deal. He served only five months.

DA MP Tim Harris said he would lay a charge against Yengeni at Cape Town Central police station later on Monday.

“If this is correct, then we believe Mr Yengeni would have breached section 218 of the Companies Act and will ask that this apparent contravention be investigated,” Harris said.


The Sunday papers said the directorships held by Yengeni included that of two mining companies.

City Press quoted the former ANC chief whip as spurning the notion that he had to ask the courts for special permission to serve as a company director.

“What has the high court to do with my life,” he reportedly asked. “Maybe the law stipulates certain things. But the high court … I don’t think they feature. I don’t have to ask permission from them to deal with my life.”

Yengeni’s prison sentence prevented him from becoming an MP last year, but he has subsequently been appointed to set up the ANC’s political school. — Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Ramaphosa asks all South Africans to help to avoid 50...

Calling this ‘the gravest crisis in the history of our democracy’, the president said level three lockdown remains, but enforcement will be strengthened

Reinstated Ingonyama Trust managers hit with retrenchment notices

The effect of Covid-19 and the land reform department’s freeze of R23-million because the ITB didn’t comply with budget submissions are cited as some of the reasons for the staff cuts
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday