Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

IFP refuses to attend reconciliation event

The Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP) confirmed on Wednesday that it had refused an invitation to attend a reconciliation ceremony between the party and the ANC in Pietermaritzburg.

“Not enough ground work has been done to prepare the people in the area … The IFP and the ANC still have a lot of issues to talk about,” said IFP national organiser Albert Mncwango.

He said people on the ground needed to communicate first before having the reconciliation event.

The event was scheduled to take place at Vulindlela Sports Ground in Pietermaritzburg on November 7 and was meant to focus on bringing together people previously at political loggerheads with each other.

People clashed so much that at one stage parts of KwaZulu-Natal were known as “killing fields”

KwaZulu-Natal premier Zweli Mkhize and other leaders of community were expected to attend.

“Traditional leaders and regiments under uMgungundlovu District Municipality approached the provincial government with the request to be assisted towards performing this ceremony,” said Mkhize’s spokesman Ndabezinhle Sibiya.

‘It’s just a publicity stint’
The “regiments” were involved in a series of fights in the past where many people were killed.

“This infighting started as minor feuds amongst factions within different clans, and resulted in political violence which was then fuelled by the apartheid machinery,” said Sibiya.

Mncwango said he was convinced that the ruling party was not genuine about the event and said this could confuse members of the IFP in the area.

“The ANC suddenly springs out a publicity stunt before the local government elections. This has not been explained to our people. There are people who lost their love ones and there are orphans. A lot still needs to be done, said Mncwango.

Mncwango said Buthelezi informed Mkhize in a letter that he would not be attending the function after he was invited.

Mncwango said all IFP mayors and party structures would not participate in the event.

ANC guests to attend
Sihle Zikalala, KwaZulu-Natal secretary for the ANC said they would attend the event as invited guests.

“The event was not organised by the ANC. The IFP and the ANC were invited as political parties after the violence that took place in the area during the apartheid era. The ANC will continue to attend the event,” said Zikalala. — Sapa

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

DA’s egregious sexual harassment case finally begins

The party is accused of protecting a councillor, who’s also implicated in R1.2m graft

The ANC, DA and EFF ‘oblivious’ to climate crisis —...

The Climate Justice Charter Movement has critiqued the manifestos of the main parties contesting the local government elections and found them ‘shallow’

More top stories

Bird flu outbreak on Dyer Island causing mass deaths

The island hosts the vulnerable African penguins, endangered bank cormorant and roseate tern

Countries bear cross-border responsibility for harmful effects of climate change,...

The UN committee has been accused of ‘turning its back’ on the children who filed a groundbreaking legal complaint with it against five countries

Magashule files notice to have corruption charges dropped

Counsel for the suspended ANC secretary general tells court the former Free State premier falls outside category of who can be charged for corrupt activities

R1.5-billion in funding approved for riot-hit businesses

Agencies emphasise that speed is crucial to rescuing firms affected by July’s unrest
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×