Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Mitsubishi to recall 250 000 vehicles in Japan

Japan’s fourth-largest car-maker, Mitsubishi Motors, will recall about 250 000 vehicles in Japan due to engine oil leaks, the transport ministry said on Thursday.

The recall will cover seven small models, such as the family-sized eK Wagon, as well as two models produced for the Nissan Motor brand, the Otti and Clipper.

A total of 247 663 units will be recalled, according to the ministry.

Mitsubishi said a faulty engine part could trigger an oil leakage and light up the oil pressure gauge on the dashboard.

“Continued use may cause parts inside the engine to burn and the vehicle may cease to operate,” Mitsubishi said.

The recall covers vehicles produced from November 2003 through August 2005, the company said.

Japan’s top car-makers have seen thousands of recalls in recent months, none more affected than Toyota, the world’s biggest, which has pulled about 12-million units over the past year.

Last week Toyota announced a recall of almost 136 000 compact cars in Japan and Europe to fix a steering problem, the latest in a series of issues that have tarnished its once-stellar reputation.

In October Nissan Motor said it was recalling more than 2,1-million cars globally due to a faulty engine control system, in one of its biggest ever single recalls. — AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Life Esidimeni inquest postponed until August 30

The lawyer for the bereaved families argued that Dr Makgabo Manamela’s requests for postponements have a negative impact on the families of the deceased who seek closure

RECAP: Mbeki tells ANC that land without compensation goes against...

‘This would be a very serious disincentive to investment,’ says Thabo Mbeki in a document arguing that the ANC should not proceed with the Constitutional amendment of section 25

More top stories

Government proclaims 27 October for local elections, but supports...

The IEC has accepted former deputy chief justice Dikgang Moseneke’s recommendation to postpone the vote to February, but still needs Constitutional Court approval to do so

ANC Free State endorses three names for Mangaung mayor

The three candidates the province has put forward are said to be Ramaphosa supporters, who will further alienate Magashule from his power base

ANC’s provincial executive committee endorses three candidates for Joburg mayor...

Sources say that the PEC gave the nod to the three names put forward by the Johannesburg regional executive committee

Covid-19 draws the bulk of health sector’s focus, at the...

Children have accounted for a relatively low number of coronavirus cases, but other facets of their healthcare and wellbeing have suffered
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×