Parktown boys assault case dropped

A case against a group of Parktown Boys high school pupils facing assault charges related to an initiation ceremony has been struck of the court roll, the Star reported on Thursday.

Pene Kimber, the mother of the one the alleged victims, told the daily that the case was struck off the roll in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court because it had been postponed 12 times already.

But she said she hoped it would be put back on the roll, saying chief prosecutor Menzi Simelane was going to decide if the boys should undergo a diversion programme or if they should stand trial.

“This matter has to go for trial. The message I am getting is that your child can be a victim of assault but the matter won’t go to trial,” said Kimber.

Her son was one of a group of grade 11 pupils last year who were allegedly dragged out of bed at midnight, stripped naked and beaten with cricket bats, hockey sticks, golf clubs and whips—some apparently until they bled.

The National Prosecuting Authority was not immediately available to confirm the report.—Sapa

.

Client Media Releases

FutureLearn welcomes CBDO
Survey: Most Influential Brands in SA
ITWeb's GRC conference set for February 2019
Survey rejects one-sided views on e-tolls
Huawei forms partnerships to boost ICT skills development