1. The dancing striker Our comedic video of a Nehawu striker showing off her moves outside the Natalspruit hospital in Thokoza unexpectedly went viral. The video was featured in a column on the site, as well as on M&G online editor Chris Roper’s blog with hilarious captions. It was a case of rampant link love as the clip was passed around, drawing a whopping 53 732 unique page views and nearly 70 comments from viewers.
2. Transcend and transgress Our exclusive slideshow on artist Leon Botha, one of the world’s longest surviving Progeria sufferers, and renowned photographer Gordon Clark’s collaborative work drew 26 436 unique page views. This is partly due to the piece being picked up by über-trendy international website BoingBoing. Botha and Clark’s artistic adventure explored the questions of destiny and immortality resulting in a hauntingly powerful photo series: Who Am I? Transgressions.
3. M&G bribe: How we stung the pension company It was a big moment for the Mail & Guardian as Veon Bock, CEO of financial services company SA Quantum, offered our political reporter Matuma Letsoalo R120 000 to suppress his story about regular payments to Noluthando Vavi. We caught him on a hidden camera as an associate handed over R40 000. The video received 20 083 unique page views.
4. M&G analysis: possible ANC action against Malema Our astute M&G politics editor Rapule Tabane shared his thoughts on the ANC press conference regarding possible action against ANCYL president Julius Malema. The controversial relationship between President Jacob Zuma and Malema came under pressure as everyone asked: will Zuma take a stand against the unpredictable young leader, or will his need to keep the peace prevail? 11 198 unique page views.
5. Malema on money matters As with all things Malema, when the ANC Youth League president opens his mouth, people want to hear what he has to say — three out of our top ten videos feature the tenacious political character. 10 766 people watched as Malema took a swipe at the media following reports of his extravagant lifestyle. Sporting his Breitling watch, Malema did his best to tell journalists that they had it all wrong.
6. M&G analysis: Malema scandal Our fiery M&G senior political reporter Mandy Rossouw has earned the ire of the ANC Youth League for her astute writing on its president, Julius Malema. In this popular video she offered her take on Malema’s income scandal — and explained why she believed the leader was not going to go away. 7 854 uniques.
7. Fikile Mbalula on corruption The M&G’s regular critical thinking forums and business breakfasts bring together some of the brightest minds in South Africa, and key players in current affairs. In this video of one of our forums, Sports Minister and senior ANC member Fikile Mbalula fielded tough questions about government tenders, the ANC’s position on lifestyle audits and more. This video received 7 452 unique view.
8. Refugee profile: Sowda As the end of the World Cup approached rumours of a possible resurgence of xenophobic violence had South Africans tense. In collaboration with Oxfam we ran a series interviewing refugees living in South Africa. Our interview with 22-year-old sports reporter Sowda was the best-watched. The Somalian fled her country after threats from extremists who believe women should not be journalists. She shared her concerns about the possibility of renewed xenophobia attacks after the World Cup. 6 974 uniques.
9. Skin movie reviewM&G journalist Faranaaz Parker reviewed the award-winning South African film Skin in this video. The film struck a chord with South Africans as they followed the true story of Sandra Laing, an Afrikaner child born with dark skin to white parents in the apartheid era. The film follows Sandra’s thirty-year journey from rejection to acceptance, betrayal to reconciliation, as she struggles to define her place in a changing world – and triumphs against all odds. 6 407 uniques.
10. Soccer city: an insiders’ tour The M&G took an insiders’ tour of the freshly built Soccer City stadium in Johannesburg during the frenzied lead up to the World Cup kickoff. This video was your chance to see the areas the ordinary soccer fan won’t see — the players’ change rooms, the view from the VIP areas and the other side of the players’ tunnel. The video had 5 722 unique views.
Lauren Clifford-Holmes is the multimedia editor and is in love with life behind the lens.
Working in both video and stills, she seeks to tell the stories which matter most — from work relating to the environment, the rhino wars and social issues, to arts and entertainment.
She's energetic, passionate and hardworking. She also happens to be a big fan of dress up parties and is mad about boxing training and horses.