To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
13 Dec 2010 17:03
An anti-doping tribunal will investigate the drug allegations against Springbok rugby players Chiliboy Ralepelle and Bjorn Basson, the South African Rugby Union (Saru) said in a statement on Monday.
Tests conducted on them after the match between South Africa and Ireland in Dublin last month allegedly showed traces of the banned stimulant, methylhexaneamine.
Both players asked for their B samples to be tested. The results confirmed the findings of the A samples.
Saru said the players would not contest the testing procedures and that, as a result, the investigation and hearing would be conducted in South Africa.
The date for the hearing and the composition of the tribunal would be announced once the investigation was completed in the new year.
Basson proclaimed his innocence after he and and Ralapelle failed the doping tests, the Times newspaper reported last month.
The stimulant, which is commonly used as a nasal decongestant and may also feature in nutritional supplements, was added to the World Anti-Doping Agency’s list of banned substances last year.
“I don’t know how this drug got into my system.
I have no idea at all.
Create Account | Lost Your Password?