A total of 151 people were treated for food poisoning in Cape Town over the weekend, the city’s Disaster Risk Management Centre said on Monday.
Residents of Lwandle became ill after eating expired food that had apparently been handed out, spokesman Wilfred Solomons-Johannes said.
“According to our information a driver from the removal company contracted to Simply Value Factory Food shop to dump the food, decided to distribute it in the community.”
After an initial investigation, authorities found the items came from the Simply Value Factory Food shop.
A complaint was expected to be lodged with the city’s health department.
Health inspectors had taken samples of the food for testing.
Manager for Simply Value Factory Food Santa Kotze was not immediately available for comment. — Sapa