Bahrain opposition rejects talks offer

The Bahraini opposition on Saturday rejected an offer of dialogue from the authorities saying it would join talks only after the Cabinet quits and troops behind a bloody crackdown leave the streets.

The Islamic National Accord Association, which is boycotting Parliament in protest at the army’s iron-fisted response to the wave of protests sweeping the small but strategic Gulf kingdom, said 95 people were wounded on Friday, of whom three were “clinically dead”.

“To consider dialogue, the government must resign and the army should withdraw from the streets” of Manama, said the group’s parliamentary leader, Abdel Jalil Khalil Ibrahim.

“What we’re seeing now is not the language of dialogue but the language of force,” said the MP.

He was responding to an offer of talks from the Sunni royal family once calm has returned to the Shi’ite-majority offshore banking centre.


Crown Prince Salman bin Hamad al-Khalifa promised a sweeping national dialogue once calm is restored, and soon afterwards King Hamad formally announced that he had assigned his heir to start those discussions.

On Saturday, EU foreign affairs chief Catherine Ashton said it was vital that dialogue “should begin without delay”, adding she was “deeply concerned” by violence against protesters.

“I urge the Bahraini authorities to respect fundamental human rights including freedom of expression and the right to assemble freely,” Ashton said.

“The dialogue announced by Bahraini Crown Prince Sheikh Salman bin Hamad al-Khalifa to meet the demands and aspirations of the people should begin without delay,” she said.

Both Britain, the former colonial power in Bahrain, and the United States, which headquarters its Fifth Fleet in the archipelago state, have warned their nationals to avoid non-essential travel.

The army’s intervention came after a deadly police action prompted protesters, inspired by the February 11 overthrow of veteran Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak, to occupy Pearl Square in the heart of Manama.

Six people have so far died, according to the opposition and families, five according to the government.

‘Respect for universal rights’
Opposition MP Ali al-Aswad has said Bahraini security forces, many of whom are recruited from Asian countries, had on Friday “fired live bullets at more than one thousand people” trying to return to Pearl Square.

US President Barack Obama condemned the violence in a telephone conversation with the king.

He said “the stability of Bahrain depends upon respect for the universal rights of the people of Bahrain, and a process of meaningful reform that is responsive to the aspirations of all Bahrainis”, according to a White House statement.

The prospect of a prolonged crisis raises fears of a potential flashpoint between Shi’ite Iran and its Sunni-ruled Gulf Arab rivals, if the Islamic republic tries to capitalise on the protest led by Bahrain’s disaffected Shi’ite majority.

Iran has “condemned the violent confrontation” and urged the Bahraini government to show restraint.

In a television interview, Prince Salman said “our dialogue must take place in a climate of total calm”, adding that “no issue can be excluded from that dialogue”.

“What is happening today in Bahrain is not acceptable,” he said. “We have reached a dangerous stage that necessitates that each of us acknowledges the responsibilities … Bahrain today is divided.”

In a statement read on state television, King Hamad charged Prince Salman with starting a “dialogue with all sides and groups in the kingdom with no exceptions”.

On Friday, thousands of mourners attended the funerals of four people killed the previous day.

They chanted slogans calling for the ouster of the Al-Khalifa ruling family at the same time as songs urging unity between Shi’ites and Sunnis.

A banner carried at the head of a funeral procession hit out at concerns by Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone that next month’s season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix may have to be cancelled because of the unrest.

“Mr Ecclestone, are our lives a price for your Formula One?” it asked, in English.

Britain has revoked 44 licences for the export of security equipment to Bahrain because of the risk it might be used to suppress anti-regime protests, the Foreign Office said. France has also suspended security equipment exports.

In the 1990s, Bahrain was plagued by a wave of Shi’ite-led unrest before reforms in 2001 restored its elected Parliament, which was dissolved in 1975, and officially turned the emirate into a constitutional monarchy. – AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Uncertainty troubles South Africans stuck in Middle East

With no representation on the island in the Persian Gulf, South Africans stranded in...

Saudi permanently closes only land border with Qatar

The gate was first closed two weeks after Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt, and Bahrain cut diplomatic and trade ties with Qatar on June 5

Seismic shifts in the Gulf in Qatar stand-off

The Arab Spring marked the most significant turning point for the GCC States in their tolerance of Qatar’s defiance.

Teen killed by riot police during Bahrain protest

Riot police in Bahrain have killed a teenager while firing shotgun pellets during clashes with protesters following a demonstration on Friday.

Bahrain compensates families of slain protesters

Bahrain has paid out $2.6-million in compensation to the families of 17 people killed in last year's bloody crackdown on Shi'ite-led protests.

Bahrain draws fire for charging a child for protesting

At a time when most 11-year-old boys are looking forward to the school holidays, Ali Hasan is preparing for his trial in Bahrain.
Advertising

Subscribers only

Dozens of birds and bats perish in extreme heat in...

In a single day, temperatures in northern KwaZulu-Natal climbed to a lethal 45°C, causing a mass die-off of birds and bats

Q&A Sessions: Frank Chikane on the rainbow where colours never...

Reverend Frank Chikane has just completed six years as the chairperson of the Kagiso Trust. He speaks about corruption, his children’s views and how churches can be mobilised

More top stories

Eskom could be fined R5-million over pollution at Kendal power...

The power utility is being taken to court by the Minister of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries in a first-of-its-kind criminal prosecution

Hope grows on Durban beachfront

Ten homeless men who turned a vacant lot into an organic vegetable garden are now reaping the rewards of their toil

Shabnim Ismail bowls her way into the record books Down...

The night before Australia’s Women’s Big Bash League (WBBL) final, fiery South African fast bowler Shabnim Ismail lay awake pondering how...

Hawks make arrest in matric maths paper leak

Themba Daniel Shikwambana, who works at a printing company, was granted bail and is due to return to court in January
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…