John Galliano sacked over alleged antisemitic rant

Christian Dior has sacked its star designer John Galliano for “odious behaviour” after he was accused of hurling antisemitic and racist insults in a drunken rant.

The prestigious haute couture house announced it had launched action to part company with the flamboyant Briton who has been its creative director for 15 years and who is now under police investigation.

Dior said it had a policy of “zero tolerance” towards antisemitism. It suspended Galliano last week after he was arrested when a couple complained he insulted them during an altercation in a trendy Paris bar.

Galliano (50) vehemently denies making antisemitic remarks and detectives have admitted they have no independent witnesses to the alleged verbal attacks.

At first Dior said it would await the outcome of the investigation. But after a video of Galliano declaring “I love Hitler” and telling two women their parents “would have been gassed” was unearthed by the Sun newspaper, the fashion house tried to distance itself from him as quickly as possible.


“Because of the particularly odious character of the behaviour and comments made by John Galliano in a video made public on Monday, the Dior house decided to suspend him immediately and has engaged in a process to dismiss him,” Dior said in a statement.

The loss of its creative director could not have come at a worse time for Dior. The designer was due to unveil his autumn/winter 2011 collection on Friday. Dior has said the show of Galliano’s designs will go on, without Galliano.

Sidney Toledano, Dior’s chief executive, said: “I condemn with the greatest firmness the comments made by John Galliano, in total contradiction with the essential values that have always been defended by the Christian Dior fashion house.”

The backlash had already spread across the Atlantic where the Oscar-winning actor Natalie Portman — the face of Miss Dior Cherie perfume — said she was “deeply shocked and disgusted” and wanted nothing to do with Galliano.

Portman (29) who on Sunday was named best actress for her performance in Black Swan, said: “As an individual who is proud to be Jewish, I will not be associated with Mr Galliano in any way.”

The business tycoon Alan Sugar also criticised the designer. “I hope French courts make an example of him for alleged racist remarks. These high-profile people think they are untouchable,” he wrote on Twitter.

But the Italian designer Giorgio Armani said he felt “sorry for” his colleague.

Galliano, who has made dresses for Princess Diana and France’s first lady, Carla Bruni, and is designing the supermodel Kate Moss’s wedding dress, spent more than five hours at a police station in central Paris on Monday as investigators sought to establish what had happened in two incidents where he is accused of making offensive remarks.

Galliano was arrested on Thursday in the chic Marais district after he allegedly insulted a Jewish woman and her Asian boyfriend in La Perle bar. Galliano denied their accusations, reportedly telling police “I’m no racist.”

His lawyer, Stéphane Zerbib, said the designer was counter-suing the couple for defamation. Two days later, a second woman came forward claiming Galliano had similarly insulted her in the same bar in October.

The final straw for Dior appears to have been video footage, reportedly shot in La Perle in December, showing Galliano telling two women whom he thought were Jewish: “I love Hitler. People like you would be dead. Your mothers, your forefathers would all be fucking gassed.”

Police have not charged Galliano and a source said: “We are going to evaluate the credibility of the accusations and Mr Galliano’s denials before deciding what action to take.” – guardian.co.uk

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

2019: The ones who left us

From Uyinene Mrwetyana, Oliver Mtukudzi to Xolani Gwala, Mail & Guardian remembers those who have passed on

More battles ahead for domestic worker unions

Florence Sosiba, speaks to the Mail & Guardian about how important domestic workers are and exclusion in the COIDA

“Life has been good to me, considering where I come from” – Xolani Gwala

Just over a year ago, veteran radio presenter Xolani Gwala’s cancer was in remission. He spoke to the Mail & Guardian once he was back on air.

Kanya Cekeshe’s lawyer appeals decision not to grant him bail to the high court

Kanya Cekeshe’s legal team filed an urgent appeal at the Johannesburg high court on Tuesday against Monday’s judgment by magistrate Theunis Carstens.

Leader’s principal aim to build IFP

Gravitas: Velenkosini Hlabisa brings his experience to his new post as leader of the Inkatha Freedom Party.

Police Minister Bheke Cele addresses Jeppestown

Police minister Bheki Cele visited Jeppestown on Tuesday to speak to business owners and community leaders.
Advertising

Western Cape warned not to be complacent about flat-lining Covid-19...

The Western Cape, which once had the highest number of Covid-19 cases in South Africa, is seeing a steady decline in active cases

Sisulu axes another water board

Umgeni Water’s board in KwaZulu-Natal was appointed irregularly by her predecessor, the water and sanitation minister claims
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday