Tripoli ruled unsafe for international football
Libya’s 2012 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Comoros has been moved from Tripoli because of the country’s political turmoil.
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) says it’s seeking a neutral country to host the match. It was scheduled from March 25 to March 27 in Tripoli’s June 11 stadium.
After two matches, Libya lead the group, which includes Mozambique and Zambia.
Last week, CAF decided Libya was unsafe to host the eight-nation African Under-20 Championship scheduled from March 18 to April 1 in Tripoli and Benghazi.
CAF says a new venue and rescheduled match dates in April to May will be announced next week.
Algeria’s federation says it and South Africa have offered to host the event which is a qualifier for the Under-20 World Cup.—Sapa-AP.