Gaddafi’s army will kill half a million, warn rebels

Muammar Gaddafi’s army won control of a strategic rebel-held Libyan town and laid siege to another as the revolutionary administration in Benghazi again appealed for foreign military help to prevent what it said would be the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people if the insurgents were to lose.

The rebels admitted they had retreated from the oil town of Ras Lanuf — captured a week ago — after two days of intense fighting and that the nearby town of Brega was now threatened.

The revolutionary army, in large part made up of inexperienced young volunteers, has been forced back by a sustained artillery, tank and air bombardment about 32km along the road to the rebel capital of Benghazi.

The head of Libya’s revolutionary council, Mustafa Abdel Jalil, claimed that if Gaddafi’s forces were to reach the country’s second-largest city it would result in “the death of half a million” people.

The Arab League, meeting in Cairo, called on the UN security council to impose a no fly-zone on Libya as Gaddafi’s forces also began to move against Misrata, a city of 300 000 people about 200km from Tripoli. Misrata is the only town in the west of the country still under the control of the insurgents after their defeat in a vicious battle for Zawiya. The rebels said that Misrata was now surrounded by Gaddafi’s forces, which included tanks.

‘Bracing for massacre’
“We are bracing for a massacre,” Mohamad Ahmed, a rebel fighter in the city, said. “We know it will happen and Misrata will be like Zawiya, but we believe in God. We do not have the capabilities to fight Gaddafi and his forces. They have tanks and heavy weapons and we have our belief and trust in God.

“The fighters here and the people of Misrata hold the international community responsible for the fall of Zawiya and for all the deaths that happened. Gaddafi is responsible, but they are partners in crime.”

Jalil again appealed for the imposition of a no-fly zone to stop the air attacks on rebel forces. “If there is no no-fly zone imposed on Gaddafi’s regime, and if his ships are not checked, then we will have a catastrophe in Libya,” he said.

The rebel Libyan leadership is frustrated that the European Union failed to agree to a no-fly zone at a meeting on Friday and United States President Barack Obama has so far proved reluctant to apply anything more than sanctions and diplomatic pressure on Gaddafi.

“Of course we’re disappointed, because every day that passes civilian people are either killed or injured and Gaddafi is bombing them with all kinds of weaponry,” Jalil said.

He also claimed, however, that the rebel army was able to call on far larger numbers of volunteers than those already fighting. He also ruled out negotiations with Gaddafi.

The revolutionary council has appealed for European countries to launch air strikes to reverse Gaddafi’s military gains. It also called for an international investigation of what it says are two vessels carrying weapons from an “eastern Arab country with Soviet-era weapons” to Tripoli. That country is believed to be Syria.

The Arab League’s call for a no-fly zone gives the regional seal of approval Nato has said is needed before any military action. Egyptian state television also said that the Arab League had decided to open channels of communication with the Libyan rebel council based in Benghazi. The League said the council represented the Libyan people, the channel reported.

Arab intervention
League officials said they had already been in touch with the rebels about the situation on the ground in Libya.

Arab states must intervene in Libya or risk unwanted foreign intervention, Oman’s foreign minister told the meeting.

“What is needed now is Arab intervention using mechanisms of the Arab League and at the same time in accordance with international law,” Omani foreign minister Youssef bin Alawi bin Abdullah said in his opening remarks to an Arab League meeting.

“We must look at various options that circumstances in Libya need,” he said, giving brief opening remarks during a televised opening session over which he presided.

“What is happening now to the Libyan people poses a threat to the security and stability of Arab states.

“If the Arab League does not take responsibility to prevent a downward spiral, that could lead to internal fighting or unwanted foreign intervention,” he added. – guardian.co.uk

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

Stella set to retain her perks

Communication minister will keep Cabinet perks during her two months of special leave

Not a sweet deal, Mister

Mister Sweet workers say they will not risk their health, and the lives of others, to continue producing and packaging confectionaries

Covid-19 grounds Nigeria’s medical tourists

The country’s elites, including the president, travelled abroad for treatment but now they must use the country’s neglected health system

Nehawu launches urgent court bid over protective gear for health...

The health workers’ union says the government has rebuffed its attempts to meet about mitigating risks to workers

Press Releases

Rahima Moosa Hospital nursing college introduces no-touch facial recognition access system

The new system allows the hospital to enrol people’s faces immediately, using artificial intelligence, and integrates easily with existing access control infrastructure, including card readers and biometrics

Everyone’s talking about it. Even Kentucky

Earlier this year South African fried chicken fast-food chain, Chicken Licken®, launched a campaign for their wallet-friendly EasyBucks® meals, based on the idea of ‘Everyone’s talking about it.’

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world