No decision yet on Shaik prosecution

The KwaZulu-Natal directorate of public prosecutions has not yet decided whether to prosecute fraud convict Schabir Shaik for allegedly assaulting a journalist, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said on Tuesday.

“KwaZulu-Natal acting director of public prosecutions, advocate Simphiwe Mlotshwa, has not decided whether prosecution is warranted. We will tell the media as soon as the decision has been made,” said NPA regional spokesperson Natasha Ramkisson.

Last month, the directorate of public prosecutions received the police docket relating to Shaik’s alleged assault of Sunday Tribune reporter Amanda Khoza.

Medical parole
Shaik allegedly slapped and throttled her on the Papwa Sewgolum golf course on Saturday February 26 while she was on assignment, covering his playing golf while out on parole.

Shaik served just over two years of a 15-year sentence, most of which he spent in a medical unit.

He was given medical parole on the grounds that he was terminally ill, but opposition parties have questioned whether he is indeed ill following various sightings of him in public.

His jail sentence related to the facilitation of a bribe from arms company Thint, allegedly to President Jacob Zuma.—Sapa

.

Client Media Releases

NWU specialist receives innovation management award
Reduce packaging waste: Ipsos poll
What is transactional SMS?
MTN on data pricing