Mother in child porn case denied bail

A 31-year-old woman accused of a string of child pornography-related charges was denied bail by the Pretoria North Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday.

As the mother of one of the sexually abused nine-year-old boys, she should have noticed her son’s awkward behaviour which included “very strong sexual urges”, said magistrate Pierre Wessels.

He found that there was a strong case against her and that although she was not a flight risk, this was not exceptional enough to justify the granting of bail.

The woman and eight of her relatives face charges of rape, indecent assault and sexual grooming of children, and possession, manufacturing and distribution of child pornography.

The eight include a grandfather (58), grandmother (57), their two sons from previous relationships, aged 34 and 36, the grandfather’s brother (61), and his wife (42), and their son, who is reportedly mentally disabled, and the 26-year-old wife of one of the sons.


Six children, aged four and older, were allegedly used in sex movies which were then distributed. Four children were removed from the care of the accused and were sent for psychological and medical tests.

The court previously heard that a number of the children told the police that the 31-year-old woman did nothing to stop the abuse, but that there was no mention of any specific incident where the woman was present.

She is believed to be the wife of accused number eight, who on Wednesday asked the court for permission to write a letter to his 19-year-old son for his birthday on April 19.

Wessels ruled that this was for a social worker to approve and not the court.

The state prosecutor told the court a National Prosecuting Authority decision was still pending on whether an additional charge of racketeering would be brought against the nine.

Wessels postponed the case until May 5 for further investigation.

He advised accused three and four to get legal representation as they faced serious charges which could result in life imprisonment.

“At this stage you don’t grasp the who scope of how big this thing can be …,” said Wessels. — Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Ithala fails to act against board chairperson over PPE scandal

Morar asked to settle with the state and pay back the profit he made on an irregular tender

Vodacom swindled out of more than R24m worth of iPhones

A former employee allegedly ran an intricate scam to steal 8700 phones from the cellular giant

More top stories

Millers pay for duty-free wheat quota

The South African Revenue Services didn’t gazette the EU quota rates for about month, with no reasons given – and then suddenly published them

Austerity budget unpacked

The finance minister has said it’s not an austerity project. But the numbers and economists disagree

Will job creation schemes fix the unemployment crisis?

Experts say there is no evidence yet to show that government-funded employment schemes work long term

Will Cyril Ramaphosa have one or two terms?

The threat to the president’s rule comes not from the opposition, but from within the ANC
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…