To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
10 Jun 2011 15:45
The fraud case against African National Congress (ANC) Northern Cape leader John Block was postponed to next year by the Kimberley Magistrate’s Court on Friday.
Block and several others face charges relating to alleged tender fraud estimated at R112-million.
Spokesperson for the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) Mthunzi Mhaga said the matter was postponed to February 2 2012 for the state to finalise the indictment and to serve it on the accused.
Block and his co-accused, businessman Gaston Savoi, were not in court by agreement with the NPA.
Mhaga said the NPA had withdrawn charges against Ronald Geddes, but added Alicia Marcus as an accused in the matter.
During the last court appearance, the state added racketeering charges to the docket.
Block and Savoi previously received conditional bail of R100 000 each.
The allegations against them relate to government departments purchasing water purification equipment at inflated prices in 2005 and 2006.—Sapa
Create Account | Lost Your Password?