Noordgesig helicopter shooting not true, say police

Police have denied shooting rubber bullets and teargas at protesters from two helicopters on Friday night in Noordgesig, Soweto.

“The chopper has not fired any rubber bullets, the same applies to the ground patrol team,” said Captain Katlego Mogale.

She was reacting to claims to this effect by National Association for the Advancement of Affected People founder Mark Trimble, who also charged that innocent bystanders returning from work were getting caught in the crossfire.

Trimble said the protesters had indicated that at 6am they would block the main road where the funeral cortege of African National Congress stalwart Albertina Sisulu was to pass.

“We are aware about intentions to disrupt the funeral and we will deal with that situation,” said Mogale.

Sisulu died at the age of 92 in her Linden home on Thursday. Her official funeral service takes place at the Orlando Stadium, in Soweto, on Saturday.

A night vigil was being held on Friday at the Holy Cross Church, in Soweto.

Patrols
Mogale said that in Noordgesig on Friday night, protesting residents were stoning police vehicles.

“We have removed sedans because residents are throwing stones at the police, only nyalas [armoured vehicles] are patrolling inside.”

The residents started protesting on Wednesday after spending two days without electricity. They were joined by residents from Newclare, Westbury, Riverlea and Eldorado Park.

The City of Johannesburg said power could be restored by Friday night, if residents cooperated with technicians.

“If this happens, City Power is confident that all residents will be reconnected before they go to bed tonight,” said spokesperson Gabu Tugwana.

“The electricity supply was disrupted earlier in the week after an important cable supplying electricity to the area was severed,” he said.

“Engineers and technicians were dispatched to the area to repair the damage.”

He said the repair work would have taken just over three hours to complete under normal circumstances.

However, the turnaround time was increased by residents’ intimidation of technicians and additional damage — including cable theft — caused to other electricity infrastructure. — Sapa

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Could we please have some consistency in our drug laws

It’s high time we saw much of the legislation for what it is - hypocritical and a little nutty

Race to save Limpopo’s magical Mutavhatsindi tree

For the first time, conservation team have now successfully propagated critically endangered species

Gaseous explosion probably caused death of 21 young people at...

Expert says it will be a few weeks before a final determination is made on the cause of death

Eskom wage deadlock ends, setting SA back on course to...

This is according to Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan, who placed the blame for stage six load-shedding on unprotected strike action
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×