Small nations can host the Olympics too

Developing countries across the world have been urged to take heart from the decision to award Pyeongchang the right to host the 2018 Winter Olympics, bid president YS Park said in Durban on Wednesday.

The South Korean city on Wednesday claimed a landslide victory over Munich, Germany and Annecy, France during the 123rd International Olympic Committee (IOC) session in Durban.

Ninety-five IOC members voted for the three countries, with Pyeongchang chosen by 63. Munich got 25 and Annecy just seven votes.

South Africa had until recently been considering a bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics. Rio de Janeiro, in Brazil, is due to host them in 2016.

Park, also president of the Korean Olympic Committee, said: “I think the decision of Rio … and Pyeongchang’s success here gives new hope to developing countries, because in the past we think this is something only for the big countries.


“We thought only they can organise the games. But now Rio and us have shown other developing countries that with a good bid and a good campaign they can host games.”

Pyeongchang, bidding for a third consecutive time, had been considered the favourite to win. It lost out to Sochi in the race for 2014 and was beaten by Vancouver for the 2010 games.

Bid chairperson Cho Yang-ho said: “We’ve always said we wanted to take the games to new horizons and we’ve done it.”

IOC president Jacques Rogge was surprised by the outcome of the vote.

“I didn’t expect a victory in the first round, frankly speaking. I thought there would be at least two rounds.”

He felt sympathy played a role after Pyeongchang lost out the previous two times.

“The third time was a very, very good bid. It was exactly the same situation we had with Rio. The last 10 years they’ve bid three times and the third bid was the winning one.”

The IOC’s session ends on Saturday. — Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Reinstated Ingonyama Trust managers hit with retrenchment notices

The effect of Covid-19 and the land reform department’s freeze of R23-million because the ITB didn’t comply with budget submissions are cited as some of the reasons for the staff cuts

Battle over R6bn workers’ retirement fund

Allegations from both sides tumble out in court papers

Nigeria’s anti-corruption boss arrested for corruption

Ibrahim Magu’s arrest by the secret police was a surprise — but also not surprising

Eskom refers employees suspected of contracts graft for criminal investigations

The struggling power utility has updated Parliament on investigations into contracts where more than R4-billion was lost in overpayments
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday