To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
17 Aug 2011 14:44
An old age home in Katlehong is still accommodating people after it was closed down in 2009, Gauteng department of health and social development said on Tuesday.
Spokesperson Simon Zwane said department officials found four people at the home last week.
“Upon this discovery, the officials immediately contacted the families of the four older persons and removed them from the home.
“They have since been placed in other homes in Ekurhuleni.”
Zwane said the owners would not be prosecuted as they did not break any laws.
“The only thing we can do is ask the community to refrain from admitting people to the home,” he said.
The home was closed in December 2009 because it lacked basic necessities and failed to comply with the norms and standards applicable to old age homes.
The Mamohau Care Home in Mapleton, Ekurhuleni and DB Old Age home in the Dickenson Industrial area, in Sedibeng were closed at beginning of August.
Mamohau was closed because the facility was not fenced and children and adults were being accommodated in the same areas.
DB was closed because it operated from an old panelbeating shop and no improvements were made to make the building safer.—Sapa
Create Account | Lost Your Password?