Fake Facebook post has Nasri in a spin

Arsenal midfielder Samir Nasri on Wednesday denied making disparaging remarks about his looming departure from the club, claiming that comments attributed to him on Facebook were fake.

Nasri, who is expected to leave the club for Manchester City later in August, was reported to have expressed his “anger and bitterness” at his transfer from Arsenal in a post on the social networking site.

However the France international responded to the reports on his official Twitter feed on Wednesday, revealing he does not have a Facebook account.

“Just to make things clear, I don’t have Facebook so I never said I was leaving with bitterness. The guy who said that used a fake account,” Nasri wrote.

Nasri was targeted for abusive chanting by Arsenal fans ahead of the club’s opening Premier League fixture with Newcastle last Saturday, with supporters vilifying him for pursuing a move to Manchester City.

However the playmaker hit back at the chants on Twitter, accusing fans of a lack of respect.

“I heard what the fans were singing about me on Saturday and it is really disrespectful because I’m still a arsenal player,” he wrote. — AFP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.


Advertising

Ayo report: CFO acted in the PIC’s interests

A disciplinary inquiry has cleared Matshepo More of all charges, but she remains suspended

A lifeline for the homeless people in eThekwini

eThekwini plans to retain permanent and safe open spaces for people with nowhere to sleep

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday