Alleged 'Facebook rapist' behind bars

Police have arrested a man believed to be the “Facebook rapist” who kidnapped and murdered women around the country.

The 22-year-old man, who uses the name Thomas Bester—one of at least 13 alleged aliases—was arrested on Wednesday night in the Alberton area, said national police spokesperson Colonel Vish Naidoo on Friday.

Bester allegedly sent women emails saying international modelling scouts were interested in them, said Naidoo.

He also targeted women by meeting them in person, then befriending them on Facebook, or simply befriending them on Facebook.

He is suspected of having committed a string of crimes in Cape Town, Durban and Gauteng, including the murder of a model in Milnerton last month and the rape of two models in Durban about two months ago.

Last week, he went to ground and deactivated his Facebook account when police began searching for him.

Bester appeared in court on Friday and was remanded in custody until his next appearance.

Bester was likely to face numerous charges including at least one count of murder, several counts of rape, kidnapping, and theft, he said. - Sapa

.

Client Media Releases

First two MTN CakeCrush Competition winners announced
Fun things to do in Cape Town
Sebata establishes Skills Development Centre
Fempreneurs shine during EWP gala event