To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
10 Oct 2011 06:41
The trial of the two farmworkers accused of hacking to death right-wing leader Eugene Terre’Blanche is expected to start in the high court sitting in Ventersdorp on Monday.
“I hope it will just start and get finished because there have been many delays in this case,” Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging (AWB) leader Steyn van Ronge said.
“There will be no protesting from AWB members. They will attend court only in support of the Terre’Blanche family.”
The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said both the prosecution and the defence were ready to proceed with trial on Monday.
“We have already consulted with our witnesses and they will be available.
We expect nothing to interrupt the running of trial,” said spokesperson Mthunzi Mhaga.
The 69-year-old former AWB leader was killed, allegedly by his two employees, in his North West farmhouse in April last year.
A post mortem report revealed Terre’Blanche suffered 28 injuries.
Chris Mahlangu (28) and a minor were charged with murder, housebreaking, attempted robbery with aggravating circumstances, and crimen injuria.
The teenager, who left school to become a herdsman for Terre’Blanche’s 97 cattle, was 15-years-old at the time of the murder.
At the last appearance, the court heard there was a possibility both defence teams could combine efforts to form a common front.
Mahlangu was released on bail in July last year, but rearrested three months later following a court order revoking his bail.
The murder received international media coverage and sparked public debate about race relations and raised questions of whether the crime was politically motivated.
There were also claims the murder was linked to the singing of a struggle song containing the lyrics “shoot the boer” by ANC Youth League leader Julius Malema.
Create Account | Lost Your Password?