Man United slips Hernandez a new deal

Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez has agreed a new five-year contract with the English champions, the player’s agent was quoted by several newspapers as saying on Thursday.

The Mexican international has been rewarded with a long-term deal at the Premier League giants after a dazzling first season at the club which saw him finish with 20 goals in all competitions.

“We have renegotiated Javier’s contract and he is now committed for five years with Manchester United,” agent Eduardo Hernandez told the Guardian.

“The initial contract was good for Manchester and for Javier because it enabled them both to see if they could fit together and if he could achieve what was expected of him. Both sides have met their expectations and United were happy to reward Javier after his very good performances last season … I will not talk about numbers, but it is a five-year contract. It is a fixed salary with incentives based on the team’s success in each of the different tournaments.

Eduardo Hernandez also dismissed recent speculation linking the player with Spanish giants Real Madrid.


“It was never likely that Javier would leave,” he said.

“Talks began some time ago and United came up with a very good offer and I have nothing but praise for the way they have recognised Javier’s performances.”

Hernandez’s follows recent moves by United to tie their prize assets to new contracts. Midfielder Tom Cleverley agreed a new deal earlier this week, while striker Danny Welbeck has also been offered a new contract.

Wayne Rooney, Rafael Da Silva, Ryan Giggs, Anderson, Antonio Valencia, Chris Smalling, Park Ji-Sung, Michael Owen, Patrice Evra, Michael Carrick and Darren Fletcher have all signed new deals in the past 12 months. — AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

How lottery execs received dubious payments through a private company

The National Lottery Commission is being investigated by the SIU for alleged corruption and maladministration, including suspicious payments made to senior NLC employees between 2016 and 2017

Pandemic hobbles learners’ futures

South African schools have yet to open for the 2021 academic year and experts are sounding the alarm over lost learning time, especially in the crucial grades one and 12

More top stories

Zuma, Zondo play the waiting game

The former president says he will talk once the courts have ruled, but the head of the state capture inquiry appears resigned to letting the clock run out as the commission's deadline nears

Disinformation harms health and democracy

Conspiracy theorists abuse emotive topics to suck the air out of legitimate debate and further their own sinister agendas

Uganda: ‘I have never seen this much tear-gas in an...

Counting was slow across Uganda as a result of the internet shutdown, which affected some of the biometric machines used to validate voter registrations.

No way out for Thales in arms deal case, court...

The arms manufacturer has argued that there was no evidence to show that it was aware of hundreds of indirect payments to Jacob Zuma, but the court was not convinced.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…