To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
27 Jan 2012 07:22
A board of inquiry into misconduct claims against National Police Commissioner Bheki Cele is expected to hold public hearings next month, the presidency said on Thursday.
“The board has, since its appointment, been undertaking preparations including finding offices, appointing staff and undertaking legal preparations,” presidency spokesperson Mac Maharaj said in a statement.
“They have finalised the preparations.”
In October last year, Zuma announced Cele’s suspension after Public Protector Thuli Madonsela found that his actions pertaining to two leases for new police headquarters, valued at R1.6-billion, were unlawful and amounted to maladministration.
Cele was suspended with full salary, allowances, privileges and benefits pending the probe.
The board consists of chairperson Judge Jake Moloi, advocate Terry Motau SC and advocate Anthea Platt. Maharaj said advocate Lisa Tsatsi had been appointed as secretary of the board.
Details about the public hearings would be announced at a later stage.—Sapa
Create Account | Lost Your Password?