Three workers were seriously injured in a gas explosion at the Festival Mall in Kempton Park on Thursday, Mugg and Bean management said.
“Our restaurant was badly damaged by the explosion which happened around 7am on Thursday morning,” said Kevin Hedderwick, CEO of the restaurant’s holding company Famous Brands.
“The three workers who have been hospitalised have serious injuries but these are not life threatening,” Hedderwick said.
Several other workers were treated for minor injuries.
“Counselling has been offered to other workers who witnessed the explosion.”
Ekurhuleni emergency services management spokesperson William Ntladi said no customers were injured.
“The explosion happened in one of the back rooms near the kitchen of the Mugg and Bean restaurant,” Ntladi said.
The local fire chief, police and representatives of gas supplier Afrox were still on the scene. Ntladi earlier said the blast was apparently a gas explosion. — Sapa