The ANC Youth League’s embattled leaders will visit ANC veteran Winnie Madikizela-Mandela after hearing the outcome of their appeal hearing on Saturday, a spokesperson said.
The ANC’s national disciplinary committee of appeal (NDCA) is expected to make the announcement at a media briefing at Luthuli House in Johannesburg at 12.30pm.
“The ANCYL will not hold any press briefing after the NDCA verdict, but will instead wait for the guidance of structures of the ANCYL,” said spokesperson Floyd Shivambu.
ANCYL president Julius Malema, deputy president Ronald Lamola, treasurer-general Pule Mabe, secretary-general Sindiso Magaqa, deputy secretary-general Kenetswe Mosenogi and Shivambu were suspended from the ANC last year. A disciplinary committee found them guilty of sowing division within the ANC and of bringing the party into disrepute, partly as a result of comments made on bringing about regime change in Botswana.
In a statement on Friday, Shivambu said they would meet Madikizela-Mandela in Soweto at noon on Saturday.
Arguing before the NDCA against the suspensions, they submitted that they had not been given a chance to argue in mitigation of their sentences. They contended that ANC disciplinary committee members, including chairperson Derek Hanekom and Mineral Resources Minister Susan Shabangu, should have recused themselves because they had publicly disagreed with the ANCYL’s positions on land reform and the nationalisation of mines. They also held that the verdict and sanctions relied on an outdated section of the ANCYL constitution.
If they lost the appeal, they could refer the matter to the ANC’s national executive committee, seek to have the elective conference in Mangaung review the suspensions, or head to the courts, said Malema’s advocate Patrick Mtshaulana, who explained the ANCYL’s arguments. — Sapa
For more news and multimedia on ANC Youth League president Julius Malema view our special report.