Balotelli, Toure racially abused, claim City

Manchester City claimed on Friday that Mario Balotelli and Yaya Toure were racially abused during the Europa League clash against Porto, media reports said.

City came from a goal down to beat the defending champions 2-1 at the Estadio do Drago, but the BBC reported that club officials had informed them that the two black players had been targetted by sections of the home crowd.

After the final whistle City manager Roberto Mancini said he had heard nothing unusual.

“I didn’t hear the noise, because I was concentrating on the game,” he said.

But it was claimed that after the game Balotelli had told a City official that he was subjected to racial abuse from the stands. The club then announced that they intended to report it to Uefa.


Mancini added later: “I didn’t hear [any racist chanting], sorry.”

“I think Mario Balotelli and Yaya Toure are too strong [to be affected by it].”

Toure confirmed he had “heard something” from the stands.

“That’s why we all like the Premier League, because it never happens there,” he told Sky Sports.

“Maybe in foreign countries they don’t expect black players. I think in future it will be okay, they will change their minds and the game will become more open … Football is football and the fans come to enjoy the game, and we don’t want things like this to happen … Mario is now able to control things like this and that is very important for the club.” — AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC’s rotten apples on the chopping block

Now that the NEC has finalised its step-aside guidelines for those facing corruption charges, a swathe of officials will struggle to cling to their positions

Sisulu and Dlodlo punted to be on their way out

Because President Cyril Ramaphosa won the step-aside order in the ANC’s national executive committee, a cabinet reshuffle looms, with Sisulu and Dlodlo’s names on comrades’ lips

More top stories

Analysts expecting another attack ‘in the next few months’ in...

The extremist insurgency in Mozambique has been an ongoing threat since 2017. SADC needs to act now, say analysts

SIU probes how master of the high court fleeces the...

While the SIU delves into dozens of allegations of fraud, corruption and misconduct against officials at the master of the high court, many families have been left destitute after the death of their loved ones.

Barred neonatal visits hurt infants

Some nurses chose to ignore the no-visit rule, and now the health department has allowed mothers to feed their premature infants

SA will miss UN’s clean water targets

Mismanagement, pollution and a water deficit exacerbated by climate change are to blame
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…