Cape Town tolls going ahead, says city
Sbu NdeThe City of Cape Town says it is pure speculation that tolls were set to be shelved in the province, according to a report on Monday.
The Cape Times reported that the city had, rather, failed to resolve a dispute over the R10-billion Winelands toll project with the South African National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral).
It planned to take Transport Minister Sbu Ndebele and Environmental Affairs Minister Edna Molewa to court.
“Now we’re preparing a report for the mayor to have the decision of the two ministers reviewed,” transport and roads mayoral committee member Brett Heron told the newspaper.
He said an interim interdict was no longer an option and the city’s last resort was to have the ministers’ decision set aside.
The City Press recently quoted a “well-placed government source” as saying plans for new toll roads around Cape Town, and in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng, were set to be shelved.
Ndebele halted all toll road projects late last year to allow for public consultation.
The toll gates planned for the N1 and N2 in Cape Town have been strongly criticised.—Sapa.