Libyan violence flares amid truce negotiations

Fresh fighting erupted in west Libya on Wednesday after two days of deadly clashes near the border with Tunisia, but there were no reports of new casualties, an Agence France-Presse journalist said.

Former rebels from the western town of Zuwarah have clashed sporadically with fighters from the nearby towns of Regdalin and Jamil since Monday despite efforts by the interim Libyan authorities to mediate a lasting truce.

The clashes since Monday have left up to 18 people killed, according to officials.

On Wednesday, a column of black smoke rose over Regdalin and Jamil, just 10km south of Zuwarah, the journalist reported, adding that heavy gunfire was exchanged.

Fierce fighting erupted late on Monday after former rebels from Zuwarah, who say they were patrolling the border region under orders from the ministry of defence, were detained as they passed the town of Jamil.


The interim authorities said on Tuesday that they had intervened and obtained their release but on-and-off fighting between the two camps continued.

Negotiating a truce
Fighting resumed on Wednesday after the terms of a 12-hour truce negotiated by the authorities went unmet, Zuwarah residents said.

“We gave them until 11am [0900 GMT] — the time has passed, so I must head to the front to fight now,” Zuwarah resident Shukri Mansur said.

Former rebels were stripped of their weapons and armoured vehicles when they were detained in Jamil and now want them back, Zuwarah residents said.

Shukri al-Arabi, head of the sole clinic in the town, said that eight Zuwarah residents died and 142 others were wounded in combat.

The interim authorities said Tuesday that 10 people were killed in Regdalin and Jamil, while four were killed in Zuwarah, 100km west of Tripoli.

Since the collapse of slain leader Muammar Gaddafi’s regime last October, tensions have festered in and around Zuwarah, where residents belong to the Amazigh minority and fought to oust the dictator.

Residents of Regdalin are accused by former rebels of standing by the regime of Gaddafi during the 2011 conflict. — Sapa-AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Q&A Sessions: Marcia Mayaba —Driven to open doors for women

Marcia Mayaba has been in the motor industry for 24 years, donning hats that include receptionist, driver, fuel attendant, dealer principal and now chief...

The war on women in video game culture

Women and girls make up almost half of the gaming community but are hardly represented and face abuse in the industry

More top stories

Short film: Zimbabwe’s queer refugees speak out

When a gay Zimbabwean man fled to South Africa, seeking refuge, he encountered further abuse and homophobia

Zondo authorises summons for Norma Mngoma after she withdraws from...

Mngoma cites personal concerns about the way her ‘proposed appearance’ had been ‘handled or mishandled’

Ace tries to widen net to catch all with revised...

Ace Magashule tells provinces to add those accused, but not charged, to step-aside list

South Africa temporarily halts J&J vaccine rollout plan

South Africa opts to voluntarily suspend its vaccination programme following advice from US health authorities after a rare blood clot development.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…