To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
10 Apr 2012 13:58
Crime intelligence boss Lieutenant General Richard Mdluli has applied for financial assistance from the state, his attorney said on Tuesday at an inquest hearing into the 13-year-old murder case.
“The matter is receiving attention,” Ike Motloung said as he requested a postponement of the inquest being held in the Boksburg Magistrate’s Court.
“I am optimistic that in a week or two finality would be reached.”
The inquiry heard that his alleged accomplices, court orderly Samuel Dlomo and Colonel Nkosana Sebastian Ximba, were also under financial constraints.
Criminal charges against Mdluli, Dlomo, Ximba, and Lieutenant Colonel Mtunzi-Omhle Mthembeni Mtunzi were provisionally withdrawn in February, pending the outcome of an inquest proceeding.
The initial charges against them included intimidation, kidnapping, assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm, murder, attempted murder and conspiracy to commit murder.
The charges related to the killing of Mdluli’s ex-lover’s husband, Oupa Ramogibe, in 1999.
The inquiry heard that Tuesday was the first day of what had been scheduled as a 10-day hearing. Some 39 witnesses were meant to testify during the inquiry.
The presiding officer said the inquest was not about finding someone guilty, but to ensure that guilt would not remain hidden if did exist.
He decided to allow testimony from investigating officer Kobus Roelofse before making a decision on a postponement.
Roelofse gave a detailed history of Mdluli and the three others, their promotions and rankings in the South African Police Service.
Roelofse also gave some details of the crime, as reported during the bail hearing of the four.—Sapa
Create Account | Lost Your Password?