Malema meets expulsion appeals deadline

Suspended ANC Youth League leader Julius Malema and two other leaders submitted their written heads of argument to the ANC appeals committee on time, party spokesperson Keith Khoza said on Thursday.

Malema, youth league secretary general Sindiso Magaqa and spokesperson Floyd Shivambu had until midnight on Wednesday to submit their written arguments to the ANC’s national disciplinary committee of appeal (NDCA).

They were scheduled to make the submissions last week, but the matter was postponed because their lawyer was not available and they had also asked for a new lawyer.

The ANC was expected to submit its written heads of argument on Friday.

Malema was expelled from the ANC in November 2011 for sowing division in the party and for bringing it into disrepute. He was found to have done so by unfavourably comparing the leadership style of President Jacob Zuma to that of former president Thabo Mbeki, and for remarks concerning bringing about regime change in Botswana.

Despite the expulsion Malema remained league president until all options to overturn his sentence had been exhausted.

Gagged
However, he was gagged last week when the ANC’s national disciplinary committee suspended him from the ANC after he called Zuma a dictator. The conditions of the suspension prohibit him from exercising any duty as an ANC member, president of the youth league or member of the Limpopo provincial executive committee.

On Tuesday, the NDCA dismissed Malema’s bid to have his temporary suspension from the ANC in this matter set aside.
The two disciplinary proceedings were separate.

Shivambu was also found guilty of sowing division and bringing the ANC into disrepute. He was suspended from the ANC for three years for swearing at a journalist and for issuing a statement calling for a change of government in Botswana.

Magaqa was suspended for three years for making derogatory remarks about Public Enterprises Minister Malusi Gigaba. This was suspended for three years on condition that he apologise to Gigaba within 15 days. Magaqa apologised to Gigaba, in a statement sent to the media on March 10.

Finally paid
Meanwhile, Malema’s gardener said he was finally paid money owed to him by his boss, according to a report on Thursday.

Joseph Mabuza told Eyewitness News that Malema had paid him and he considered the matter closed.

Earlier on Thursday Mabuza, who worked for Malema on Sundays, was quoted as saying he had not been paid for February and March and was owed R1 200.

“I just wish Julius pays me. I borrowed money from people for my transport. I also took a lot of things on credit,” he told the Star newspaper.

The gardener, who lives in Tembisa and works during the week for another employer, claims he spent R26 on transport every Sunday to work at Malema’s house.

Malema denied the claim of not paying wages.

“He has failed to report for work for a long time and now he accuses me of owing him money. If I do, he must come and collect his money. I will wait for him,” Malema told the daily newspaper.

Mabuza said he had worked for Malema for more than four years.—Sapa

Client Media Releases

UKZN honours excellence in research
VMware is diamond sponsor of ITWeb's Cloud Summit 2019
Sanral engages communities on projects in Matatiele Municipality