“After long deliberation on whether the NEC should use its discretion … overwhelmingly, the NEC agreed that there were no compelling grounds to review the decision,” secretary general Gwede Mantashe told reporters in Johannesburg on Tuesday.
“The rejecting of the review by the NEC therefore closes the chapter on this matter.”
Mantashe said most of the special NEC meeting, held on Monday, was spent discussing the matter.
The NEC would also not review the suspension of ANC Youth League secretary general Sindiso Magaqa and spokesperson Floyd Shivambu.
According to the ANC’s constitution, the decision of the national disciplinary committee of appeal is final, but the NEC can review the decision at its own discretion.
Mantashe said there was no provision in the party’s constitution to review the matter at the national elective congress in December.
“There is no provision for congress to deal with the matter. “There will be no closed session because we are reviewing the case,” he said.
However, delegates could raise the issue from the floor. Mantashe denied earlier reports that there had been fighting between NEC members regarding the decision.
“The discussion was robust [and] open … All members of the NEC who wanted to speak were given the opportunity [to do so], without fear or favour,” he said. – Sapa