FNB head leaves after probe

FNB denied that Patel’s departure was linked to an investigation into the misappropriation of funds and conflicts of interest.

However, earlier this year the Mail & Guardian reported that the bank’s sharia banking division was set for major restructuring following a probe that found internal breaches of operational procedure and corporate governance failures.

Documents and expense claims indicated a breakdown in internal risk and management controls. “Special deals, sponsorships and work contracts were arranged for family members, friends and community leaders, the documents show. Although the amounts do not amount to millions, Patel’s behaviour has raised serious governance concerns,” the M&G reported in January.

The newspaper also reported that there had been a mass exodus of members of the sharia board, which is meant to approve products. There were also claims of misappropriation of funds, conflicts of interest, unfair labour practices and mistreatment of staff, board illegitimacy and fraud.

Patel was put on special leave while the probe was conducted. Expense claims showed he had billed FNB to take his family on holiday while he was on a business trip.


At the time, Iris Dempsey, head of FNB Wealth, told the M&G that Patel was reinstated but faced disciplinary action. But following the announcement of Patel’s retirement last Friday, Eric Enslin, head of client engagement at FNB Wealth, said his departure was certainly not as a result of the investigation. “Mr Patel is retiring for personal reasons.

 He is taking some time out to spend with his family. FNB wishes to thank Ebi for his commitment and contribution to the bank. He was pivotal in building the Islamic finance team, which has built a successful business that provides alternative products to the Muslim community in South Africa.”

Amman Muhammad, former managing director of Absa’s Islamic banking, will take over in the post from July 1.

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

The South African connection: How mercenaries aided Trump ally in...

The UN found that Trump ally Erik Prince violated the Libyan arms embargo. Here are the South Africans the report says helped him to do so

Q&A Sessions: African court ‘will be a tough job’ — Dumisa...

Lawyer, author and political activist Dumisa Ntsebeza talks to Nicolene de Wee about his appointment as judge of the African Court on Human and...

More top stories

Why a trickle-down approach to vaccine access is not a...

The world cannot afford ‘safe havens’ in which the virus can thrive and evolve and threaten us all

Mboweni says no more Zondo funding as court extends commission’s...

The finance minister suggests money should be found from the cash-strapped justice department

In a bizarre twist VBS liquidators sue KPMG for R863mn

In filed court documents, the VBS liquidators are blaming auditing firm KPMG’s negligence for the alleged looting of the bank

Snip, snip: Mboweni eyes wage bill, other future spending cuts

Last year, the finance minister noted that increased government spending has failed to promote growth over the past decade
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…