To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
08 Aug 2012 08:45
Property tycoon Roux Shabangu has been ordered not to threaten or contact his former business partner or his family. (Gallo)
According to a report in the Star, Japie van Niekerk's urgent application was heard on Tuesday. Shabangu did not defend it.
According to the newspaper, Van Niekerk apparently received a text message from Shabangu a week ago in which Shabangu "declared war" on him.
Van Niekerk reportedly claimed that his life and those of his family had been threatened by Shabangu, who is at the centre of the multimillion-rand police lease scandal that cost former top cop Bheki Cele his job as police commissioner.
At a media briefing in Irene, Shabangu said the text message had been sent "in a moment of anger".
"It was a very heated moment and I was pushed to the verge," he told reporters.
He said spelling errors in his message bore testimony to how angry he had been at the time.
He said Van Niekerk and his family had nothing to fear from him.
Create Account | Lost Your Password?