Mkhize remains mum on charge withrawal in Intaka case

KwaZulu-Natal Premier Zweli Mkhize on Saturday rejected calls by the Democratic Alliance (DA) for him to provide answers as to why charges against two provincial ANC officials implicated in a fraud and corruption case were dropped.

Mkhize criticised the Democratic Alliance, saying the party was misleading the public into believing the provincial government had a hand in the case against provincial legislature speaker Peggy Nkonyeni and economic development MEC Mike Mabuyakhulu.

Mkhize said they were looking for answers from the wrong people.

"The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) must account for its decisions to charge, arrest and withdraw these charges," said Mkhize.

The NPA announced on Friday that acting provincial director of public prosecutions Moipone Noko had withdrawn charges against six people, including the two officials.


The group had been implicated in the Intaka case.

"Upon a thorough and interrogative assessment, available evidence including consultations with some key witnesses, the acting Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) in consultation with the prosecution team felt there are no prospects of a successful prosecution; therefore these charges cannot be sustained against them during trial," provincial NPA spokesperson Natasha Ramkisson said.

Noko was appointed in July after KwaZulu-Natal's acting head of prosecutions Simphiwe Mlotshwa was ousted, reportedly for refusing to withdraw the charges against the two politicians.

The amigos case
The DA said the withdrawal of the charges against Nkonyeni and Mabuyakhulu would leave gaping holes in the State's case and would make a mockery of any effort to bring those implicated in the Intaka scandal to book.

The six were linked to the sale of water purification plants to the KZN health department, allegedly at inflated prices.

Initially, 25 people were implicated in the in the so-called "amigos" corruption case, which will be heard on October 1 in the Durban High Court.

The "amigos case" is a corruption matter involving Uruguayan businessman Gaston Savoi.

Savoi's company, Intaka, allegedly paid bribes to ensure that a contract to supply water purifiers and oxygen generators to hospitals, at hugely inflated prices, went its way.

He will go on trial with former provincial treasury boss Sipho Shabalala, who allegedly received a R1-million donation for the ANC.

The provincial legislature said on Friday that it welcomed the dropping of the charges. – Sapa.

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

JB Marks Municipality in the North West placed under administration

The municipality, that includes Potchefstroom and Ventersdorp, had been placed under administration as per a provincial executive committee decision

This is the house that Daddy built

After 10 years of following the JZ story, I slept through Shaun’s decision to charge him

​Cabinet reshuffle: A new dawn in the economic cluster

The president made several sweeping changes to his cabinet which saw the return of Nhlanhla Nene as finance minister

Jazz fest arrest ‘no coincidence’

Fraud charges against a top KwaZulu-Natal ANC official are linked to the party’s factional battles, insiders say

ANCYL call for rating agencies to distance themselves from Gordhan statements

The ANCYL alleges that Pravin Gordhan said that if Cyril Ramaphosa is supported for the ANC's top post, there will be no downgrades.

Don’t be fooled by Ramphosa’s ‘New Deal’ or NDZ’s ‘radical economic transformation’

The front-runners for the ANC’s presidency have flimsy platitudes and little else to offer
Advertising

The PPE scandal that the Treasury hasn’t touched

Many government officials have been talking tough about dealing with rampant corruption in PPE procurement but the majority won't even release names of who has benefited from the R10-billion spend

ANC still at odds over how to tackle leaders facing...

The ANC’s top six has been mandated to work closely with its integrity committee to tackle claims of corruption against senior party members
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday