To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
25 Aug 2012 12:56
Striking Lonmin mine workers congregated on a koppie outside the Platinum mine in Marikana. (Oupa Nkosi, M&G)
At least 57% of workers across the eastern shaft of the Lonmin Platinum mine in Marikana were back at work on Saturday, the company said.
"The rest of the mine is closed as this is their off-weekend," Lonmin said in a statement.
The company said the situation on the ground was peaceful and there were no overnight or Saturday morning incidents.
On Friday Lonmin said work attendance was at 23.6% across the board.
Last week Thursday, police opened fire on striking workers killing 34 and injuring 78.
In the week leading up to the shooting, another 10 people – including two police officers and two security guards – were killed.
The protests were believed to be linked to rivalry between the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) and the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (Amcu) over recognition agreements. Workers also wanted higher wages.
Create Account | Lost Your Password?