Kaizer Chiefs' Parker buries Bidvest Wits

Bernard Parker (right) continued his scorching goal-scoring form, giving Kaizer Chiefs a 3-1 victory over Bidvest Wits. (Gallo)

Bernard Parker (right) continued his scorching goal-scoring form, giving Kaizer Chiefs a 3-1 victory over Bidvest Wits. (Gallo)

Chiefs were 2-0 up in their Premiership match before the break at Nelspruit's Mbomblea stadium on Monday, with Parker scoring both and lifting his goal-tally for the league to seven this season.

The Amakhosi were rampant in the first-half and should have scored more, and the door was left open for Wits in the second period.

The Clever Boys did manage a goal after a better second-half performance, but Lehlohonolo Majoro scored the third for Chiefs just before added time to seal another resounding win for the table-toppers.

With the win, Chiefs move further ahead at the summit of the table with 13 points after five matches. Wits, meanwhile, remain on five points from as many games.

Wits were unbeaten in their previous three league games coming into the match, but it was Chiefs – as the away team – who dominated proceedings.

Parker could not stay off the score-sheet long, as his first goal came in the 13th minute. Kingston Nkatha ran in behind the Wits defence from a throw-in, and managed to move the ball across the face of goal, leaving Parker with the simplest of chances to give Chiefs the lead.

Six minutes later Chiefs came close again, this time from a Siphiwe Tshabalala corner, Tefu Mashamaite headed just over goal from close range.

In the 26th minute, Parker turned his expertise to a set-piece.
His free-kick from just outside the area, was deflected out for a corner off the wall.

Decent chance
Just after the half-hour mark Nkatha was involved again, this time with a direct chance on goal. From a tight angle at close range – running onto a quick ball – his shot sailed just wide of target.

In the only decent chance for Wits in the first half, Matthew Pattison was responsible in the 33rd minute. His free-kick from 30m out was awkward for Itumeleng Khune in Chiefs' goal, as the ball bounced just before the keeper, but the Bafana number one shot stopper made no mistake with the gather.

Three minutes later Parker completed his double. After George Lebese went for goal, Wits' defence were unable to cover Parker, and falling back he was still able to find the target and make it 2-0 to Chiefs.

In the 52nd minute, Tshabalala went on a trademark bustling run down the right, and his shot from just inside the area required a good save from teenage goalkeeper Steven Hoffman.

Erwin Isaacs tried to pull a goal back for Wits in the 63rd minute. Chiefs midfielder Willard Katsande conceded a free-kick in a dangerous position 35m out, and was a given a yellow card for his efforts. Isaacs went for goal, but his powerful strike drifted just wide.

Four minutes later, unmarked and in space in the box, Pattison could not hit the target as his shot rifled into the stands.

Wits were finally rewarded for their improved play in the second period through Calvin Kadi in the 81st minute. Asive Langwe provided the cross into the box and Kadi found the back of the net from the far-post.

Majoro scored the third for Chiefs in the 89th minute to thwart the Wits comeback, and claim the three points. – Sapa

Client Media Releases

One of SA's biggest education providers has a new name: Meet PSG's Optimi
A million requests, a million problems solved
A holistic view of cyber security, GRC
NWU pays tribute to its icons
Don't judge a stock by share price alone