1Time airline files for liquidation

EyeWitness News and SABC news quoted CEO Blacky Komani as saying staff were told of the decision on Friday afternoon. 

"This afternoon at about 2.30pm, the 1Time board, together with business rescue practitioners, decided to suspend services with effect this afternoon," he told EWN.

"There is nothing else to say; I'm too emotional."

Planes in the air at the time flew back to base. Other scheduled flights remained grounded.

In August, 1Time Holdings filed for business rescue, saying it was "financially distressed", according to a Business Day report.

The firm had about R320-million in short-term debt and had been in negotiations with creditors since March.

Later that month, a business rescue specialist was appointed and the trade union, Solidarity, said that retrenchments had been put off.

The specialist would have drawn up a refinancing and restructuring plan for the company. 

The low-cost airline made news headlines this year for engine failures on two different planes. 

Earlier this year, another low-cost airline, Velvet Sky, went into liquidation after failing to convince a court it was a candidate for business rescue. – Sapa

Keep the powerful accountable

Subscribe for R30/mth for the first three months. Cancel anytime.

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Matric results 2021 mapped: how did your school do?

Which schools and districts improved and which didn’t? Our complete guide to the 2021 matric results.

Sisulu launches ANC president bid, but ‘radical economic transformation’ faction...

The tourism minister will have to jockey with Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma and Zweli Mkhize for a presidential nomination.

Sisulu rejects Ramaphosa’s ‘apology in her name’

In a public showdown with the president, the minister promptly distanced herself from his statement that said she apologised for her attacks on the judiciary

SANDF’s condemned-building mess

A 40-year-old army accommodation block housing 500 soldiers was ‘upgraded’ using residents’ recreational fund contributions. But it is dangerous: other high-risk residential flats in the area have been evacuated because of dolomite corrosion.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×