Mac on Mandela: We’ll say it again, nobody panic

"There is no cause for alarm … he [Mandela] is in the hands of a good medical team," said presidential spokesperson Mac Maharaj on Monday.

An update on Mandela's health would be communicated once his doctors updated the presidency, Maharaj added.

Mandela (94) was admitted to a hospital in Pretoria on Saturday for "medical attention".

At the time Maharaj reiterated that Mandela would "receive medical attention from time to time which is consistent with his age".

Motlanthe cancels visit
On Sunday morning, President Jacob Zuma visited Mandela in hospital and found him "comfortable and in good care", said Maharaj.

He again appealed to the media and to the public to respect the privacy of Mandela and his family. It is believed that he is being treated at One Military hospital.

Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe reportedly cancelled a planned visit to Mandela at his Qunu home last week, according to weekend reports.

"All I know is that there was a planned visit to Mandela, but the deputy president decided to cancel and attend to state matters," Motlanthe's spokesperson Thabo Masebe told the Sunday Times.

Mandela 'is not well'
A Qunu traditional ruler, Nokwanele Balizulu, told foreign news agency Agence France-Presse she saw Mandela shortly before he was taken to hospital.

"I was called by the Mandela family saying Tata [grandfather] is not well. I rushed there and I saw he is not well," she was quoted as saying.

The Associated Press reported on Sunday that worshippers gathered at the Regina Mundi Catholic church in Soweto to pray for Mandela.

Mandela was admitted to hospital in February this year for a diagnostic procedure, which Lindiwe Sisulu – defence minister at the time – later said was "an investigative laparoscopy".

Past hospitalisations
This hospital visit was marked by much less media speculation than a hospital visit in January 2011, when few updates on his condition were made public – leading to rumours about his condition.

In February the presidency sent regular updates on his condition, but did not say in which hospital he was being treated, probably as a result of a media frenzy outside Milpark Hospital in Johannesburg on the previous occasion.

In 2011, he was in hospital for what the Nelson Mandela Foundation described as "routine checks".

That year Motlanthe eventually broke the silence on Mandela's condition on January 27, when he said Mandela was being discharged to receive home-based care for a respiratory infection.

Another frenzy followed in December 2011 when eNews, in a review of stories of the year, carried file footage of Mandela being taken to hospital in January 2011.

This triggered a flurry of rumours about the former president's health. – Sapa

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Sapa
Guest Author
Advertisting

In East Africa, the locusts are coming back for more

In February the devastating locust swarms were the biggest seen in East Africa for 70 years. Now they’re even bigger

Western Cape Judge Mushtak Parker faces second misconduct complaint

The Cape Bar Council says his conduct is ‘unbecoming the holding of judicial office’

‘My biggest fear was getting the virus and dying in...

South African Wuhan evacuee speaks about his nine-week ordeal

Border walls don’t stop viruses, but a blanket amnesty might

Why South Africa should consider amnesty for undocumented migrants in the time of the coronavirus outbreak.

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories