Cricketer claims he lied to King commission

Henry Williams told the King commission he had accepted an offer of $15 000 from disgraced former national cricket captain Hansie Cronje to perform poorly in a one-day international against India in Nagpur, according to a report in the Sunday Times.

According to the Sunday Times, Williams now claims that his testimony, and that of Herschelle Gibbs, was part of a conspiracy, involving their lawyers, to make a stronger case against Cronje.

Cronje was banned from cricket for life after admitting his involvement. He died in a plane crash in 2002. Williams and Gibbs were both banned for six months.

Williams told the newspaper that Cronje never mentioned the amount involved. "When we testified to our lawyers what the story really was, they came up with a threat that we could be prosecuted for doing something like this," Williams said.

He claimed to have been under pressure to "nail" Cronje.

Gibbs, who is playing in Australia's Big Bash League, distanced himself from Williams' comments.

The pair's then-lawyers, Mike Fitzgerald and Peter Whelan, denied they persuaded Williams to lie to the commission.

Whelan said they had known that Gibbs was lying, and had put pressure on him to tell the truth. "Henry certainly came along for the ride. I didn't think he was lying initially, but he came out when Herschelle did." – Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.


To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Sapa
Guest Author
Advertising

Ayo report: CFO acted in the PIC’s interests

A disciplinary inquiry has cleared Matshepo More of all charges, but she remains suspended

A lifeline for the homeless people in eThekwini

eThekwini plans to retain permanent and safe open spaces for people with nowhere to sleep

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday