British cardinal steps down amid rumours of improper behaviour

The cleric quit the day after rejecting allegations of inappropriate behaviour with other priests.

Cardinal Keith O'Brien, known for outspoken views on homosexuality, had been reported to the Vatican over allegations of inappropriate behaviour stretching back 30 years, according to the Observer newspaper. He has contested the allegations against him.

O'Brien, who had been expected to take part in the conclave, said he had tendered his resignation to Pope Benedict some months ago as he was turning 75 and because he was suffering from "indifferent health".

The pope, who himself is stepping down on February 28 because of ill health, had decided to accept O'Brien's resignation before he left the role.

"For any good I have been able to do, I thank God. For any failures, I apologise to all whom I have offended," he said in a statement, which made no reference to the recent allegations.


He confirmed he would not be heading to Rome to take part in the election for Benedict's replacement.

"I do not wish media attention in Rome to be focussed on me – but rather on Pope Benedict XVI and on his successor," he said.

O'Brien is the archbishop of St. Andrews and Edinburgh. – Reuters

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Reuters
Guest Author

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Ithala fails to act against board chairperson over PPE scandal

Morar asked to settle with the state and pay back the profit he made on an irregular tender

Vodacom swindled out of more than R24m worth of iPhones

A former employee allegedly ran an intricate scam to steal 8700 phones from the cellular giant

More top stories

North West premier in phone tapping claims

‘Agents’ working for Job Mokgoro allegedly tapped ANC and cabinet members’ phones

Judicial Conduct Committee orders Mogoeng to apologise for his remarks...

The JCC said that by the chief justice straying into politics, he breached the judicial conduct code and ordered him to issue an apology and retraction

‘Doctors’ wives’ jump Covid queue

Private doctors and civilians have been exploiting gaps in the public health system to get vaccinated

DA admits it cannot cut ANC support to less than...

The official opposition’s leader John Steenhuisen has called its mission to slash the ANC voter share unrealistic during a parliamentary meeting, as the party deals with financial challenges and a fresh round of staff retrenchments
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…