To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
18 Mar 2013 15:57
Grammy-winning hip-hop star Lil Wayne was in critical condition after being re-admitted to hospital for seizures, the TMZ celebrity news website reported.
Lil Wayne appears to have spent the weekend in hospital, receiving treatment after suffering another serious seizure. While Wayne's fans await evidence that the rapper is all right, his reps have strongly denied a TMZ report that he is close to death.
According to the Associated Press, Lil Wayne was taken to hospital after a seizure on Friday.
He is "recovering", an anonymous source said.
The 30-year-old had suffered several more seizures earlier this month, as well as two episodes in October 2012.
Although Lil Wayne sent out a tweet – "I'm good everybody," he wrote, "thx for the prayers and love". No photos of the rapper have been released since Friday afternoon.
The online tabloid TMZ was the first outlet to report Lil Wayne's hospital stay, asserting that he was fighting for his life. "[Wayne] has been placed in an induced coma," they wrote. "He is breathing through tubes."
These claims were rejected by multiple members of Wayne's entourage.
"My son is in good spirit … feelin much betta … be home soon," wrote Birdman, Wayne's mentor.
"Dont believe the nonsense about comas and tubes to breathe … that's false!!" tweeted Young Money president Mack Maine. "Wayne is alive and well!"
Over the weekend, many of Wayne's friends visited him at Cedars Sinai hospital, including Drake, basketballer Chris Paul and Nicki Minaj, who came bearing balloons. Slim Williams, the chief executive of Cash Money Records, said he and the rapper spent hours watching TV.
"He's chillin'," Williams told WGCI radio. "We sittin' here watching the basketball game with each other. He good."
Wayne's 10th album, I Am Not a Human Being II, is due to be released this month. – guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media 2013
Create Account | Lost Your Password?