Interpol: We are not involved in PetroSA investigation
The allegations centre around PetroSA’s acquisition of an oil company in Ghana and its plans to purchase petrol stations in South Africa.
In the petrol stations deal, PetroSA controversially hired a small, local transaction advisory company, paying them an enormous success fee upon conclusion of the deal.
The Times reported this week that the passports of senior PetroSA executives were flagged and their bank accounts monitored as part of the investigation into the claims.
It was also reported that search and seizure operations had been conducted and Interpol was also involved in the monitoring of six officials employed at the oil giant.
Hawks spokesperson, Captain Paul Ramaloko told the M&G on Wednesday that no search and seizure operations had been conducted, and said Interpol was not involved in the investigation. He also said reports that senior PetroSA official’s passports were flagged were “misleading”.
Pressed for details, Ramaloko said, “We have not released any content of the investigation, or provided any progress to any media house.”
Meanwhile, Petro SA chairperson, Benny Mokaba reportedly resigned on Monday. This followed a report into procurement practices at PetroSA, initiated by Energy Minister Dipuo Peters.
Mandla Tyala, a spokesperson for the Central Energy Fund, which owns PetroSA, said a preliminary report unearthed “inappropriate executive override" of internal control systems at PetroSA.
Tyala told the Times the CEF was awaiting ministerial direction on whether or not to present the report to the Hawks, or anyone else..