Full report on Gupta Waterkloof landing released

Gupta family members were attending the wedding of Vega Gupta (23) and Indian-born Aakash Jahajgarhia at Sun City. The landing sparked widespread criticism.

Read the full report

Titled Landing of a Commercial aircraft at Air Force Base Waterkloof, the investigation revealed that an initial attempt by the Gupta family to organise a special landing at OR Tambo International Airport was turned down. The Guptas then approached the Indian High Commission who re-designated the wedding entourage as an official delegation to secure a landing at the Waterkloof base.

The justice, crime prevention, and security cluster of ministries said it believed the issue would serve to support the fight against corruption.

"We believe that the unified public voice which condemned the incident, together with decisive government action, serves as a useful basis for the development of a partnership between our people and their government in the fight to combat crime and corruption in our country," the cluster said in the report's conclusion.

"Notwithstanding the negative findings, the work of the investigating team has brought to light the way public servants … conscientiously and faithfully perform their duties and daily tasks, and whose work is a credit to the country that they serve."

It said the jet's landing at the air force base had brought to the fore serious issues which needed immediate attention. These included the identified culture of undue influence, underpinned by poor ethical conduct and a lack of professionalism, described in the report.

Justice Minister Jeff Radebe said at a press briefing on Sunday: "The investigating team has conclusively found that in February 2013 the Gupta family approached the Airports Company South Africa and requested landing rights and an elaborate reception for the wedding party." – Additional reporting by Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.


To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Ayo report: CFO acted in the PIC’s interests

A disciplinary inquiry has cleared Matshepo More of all charges, but she remains suspended

A lifeline for the homeless people in eThekwini

eThekwini plans to retain permanent and safe open spaces for people with nowhere to sleep

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday