Chris Brown denies hit-and-run allegations

US singer Chris Brown has been charged over an alleged hit-and-run car accident, police said on Tuesday, but the star claimed the other driver involved was trying to get a "payday" from him.

Brown, who is still on probation for his notorious 2009 assault on then girlfriend Rihanna, took to Twitter to proclaim his innocence over the accident in May, saying he had exchanged insurance details with the female driver.

"I have a valid drivers license and I gave the woman the right info. She saw cameras and wanted to make a scene. She contacted the cops thinking of a payday from Chris Brown when I followed the proper procedures," he wrote.

Frank Mateljan, a spokesperson for the Los Angeles city attorney's office, said Brown was charged with one count each of hit-and-run and driving without a valid license over the May 21 incident.

Media reports said Brown rear-ended a Mercedes-Benz with his Range Rover near Toluca Lake, north of Los Angeles. He stopped and swapped information, but celebrity news website TMZ suggested that he gave false information.

Tweets from Brown
?Brown fired off a series of tweets after the charges were announced on Tuesday.


"It's not a hit and run if u get out the car, exchange information (who has NO DAMAGE to either cars). This is really ridiculous," he posted on the micro-blogging website.

Brown was sentenced to five years' probation, a year-long domestic violence programme and 180 days of community service after assaulting singer Rihanna on the eve of the 2009 Grammys. A photo of her bruised face triggered widespread anger. – AFP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday