Arrests made in Eastern Cape after botched circumcisions

The arrests were made in different parts of the province since May, Colonel Sibongile Soci said on Tuesday.

Thirty initiates had died in the province during the current initiation season, the provincial health department said on Sunday.

Department spokesperson Sizwe Kupelo said in the most recent case of botched circumcisions during the initiation season, 10 initiates were rescued from a forest in Mbizana.

"The 10 initiates' private parts are rotten. They are badly damaged. Their condition is scary," he said.

They were recovering in hospital.

A total of 293 initiates are currently in hospitals in the province, and are recovering from dehydration, gangrene and septic wounds. Some had lost their genitals.

'Crack down on this growing problem'
ANC spokesperson Jackson Mthembu said illegal initiation schools were criminal activities masquerading as respected customs.

"Activities that have led to the deaths of initiates, particularly in the Pondoland region of the Eastern Cape, must be harshly condemned," he said in a statement.

In some illegal schools, young men had been taken by force and money had been demanded from their families.

"The justice, crime prevention and security cluster must consider … the establishment of a specialised unit to crack down on this growing problem and halt it decisively in its tracks," he said.

He said those who were arrested had to be speedily prosecuted and the cases hastily concluded. – Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Sapa
Guest Author
Advertisting

Tension over who’s boss of courts

In a letter, Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng questions whether Justice Minister Ronald Lamola has acted constitutionally

SABC sued over ‘bad’ clip of Ramaphosa

A senior employee at the public broadcaster wants compensation for claims of ‘sabotage’

Soundtrack to a pandemic: Africa’s best coronavirus songs

Drawing on lessons from Ebola, African artists are using music to convey public health messaging. And they are doing it in style

In East Africa, the locusts are coming back for more

In February the devastating locust swarms were the biggest seen in East Africa for 70 years. Now they’re even bigger

Press Releases

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders