Power restored to all Jo’burg areas

"Any remaining power interruptions are not the result of the illegal work stoppage," City Power spokesperson Sol Masolo said in a statement.

But isolated power failures, unrelated to the strike, had not been dealt with yet, Masolo said.

A few hundred disgruntled workers downed tools on Wednesday over a new shift structure, which led to widespread power failures. City Power said the new shifts were to improve service delivery. Masolo said regional command centres had been set up to ensure no further tampering of the power network.

"The centres have dispatched task teams to depots and improved security across all regions to prevent further tampering."

On Friday, Gauteng community safety MEC Faith Mazibuko said striking workers had "sabotaged" sub-stations around the city which she said amounted to "terrorism".


City Power on Saturday said it had met with two unions about the strike. The company committed itself to negotiating with two unions only — the South African Municipal Workers' Union and the Independent Municipal and Allied Trade Union — due to "formal channels previously agreed on".

Masolo did not elaborate on this.

"In the meeting, which was an information-sharing session, City Power indicated its concern about the manner in which striking employees disrupted the network," Masolo said in a statement. "It shared the steps taken to ensure a continuous electricity supply." – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G for R2 a month

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

And for this weekend only, you can become a subscriber by paying just R2 a month for your first three months.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

Allegations of corruption at City Power

“These companies are given most of the subcontracting and the person responsible is Percy Mphahlele”

South African women live with the burden of ‘constant vigilance’

Fear of being attacked restricts the movement of most women in everyday life

Eskom’s Matone to CCMA over ‘unfair suspension’

While deputy president Ramaphosa assures the country that the Eskom boardroom shenanigans "are not squabbles", Eskom's controversial chair stays put.

Sapa clarifies concerns over deletion of database stories

The South African Press Association has allayed fears over the mandatory deletion of its stories from its subscribers' archives.

Durban writer believes praise for Rushdie behind vicious attack

Durban writer Zainub Priya Dala believes she was assaulted for expressing admiration for controversial novelist Salman Rushdie, her publisher said.

DA argument on Mbete calling police is ‘extremist’

The DA's argument to overturn a parliamentary rule allowing Mbete to call police to remove MP's was "extremist", says senior counsel for Parliament.
Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

Q&A Sessions: ‘I think I was born way before my...

The chief executive of the Estate Agency Affairs Board and the deputy chair of the SABC board, shares her take on retrenchments at the public broadcaster and reveals why she hates horror movies

More top stories

Between dark and light was Maradona

The life of Diego Armando Maradona, who died this week, will always remind us that the smell of shit is as important as the perfume of flowers, writes Niren Tolsi

Public protector’s ‘mistakes’ were made to nail the president, court...

Busisiwe Mkhwebane discarded facts that were inconvenient to her when she investigated the CR17 campaign, Cyril Ramaphosa’s lawyers argued

Student funding scheme gets new chief executive and board

The National Student Financial Aid Scheme has been under administration for two years after its board was dissolved and its boss resigned not even halfway through his term

General Council of the Bar slams Zuma Foundation

Another summons has been served on Jacob Zuma at his Nkandla residence, requiring the former president to appear before the Zondo Commission next year
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…