To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
06 Oct 2013 10:23
Phil Molefe has denied accepting R2.4m from the SABC following his suspension. (Gallo)
According to court papers filed at the Johannesburg High Court, Molefe accused the broadcaster of misleading Communications Minister Yunus Carrim.
Carrim said in a parliamentary reply last month that the SABC had paid Molefe R2.4m to settle a dispute.
The Sunday Independent reported that the SABC decided to settle with Molefe following a meeting of the interim board. However, according to court papers, Molefe said he had never been party to the settlement.
"As is the norm with state-owned companies in our portfolio, my reply to Parliament was what was given to me by the SABC," Carrim was quoted as saying.
Molefe had been suspended since April last year, following controversy about an SABC interview with former ANC Youth League leader Julius Malema.
Molefe is contesting his suspension in the Supreme Court of Appeal.
Meanwhile, President Jacob Zuma appointed a new SABC chairperson and a deputy on Thursday.
Zuma named Ellen Tshabalala as chairperson and Professor Mbulaheni Maguvhe as deputy chairperson.
Tshabalala served as chairperson on the interim board.
Create Account | Lost Your Password?