Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Joyce Banda sacks Cabinet after corruption scandal

Malawi President Joyce Banda dissolved the Cabinet on Thursday after police arrested several junior officials in her government in recent weeks on suspicion of stealing state funds.

The presidency of the southern African state said in a statement that Banda, who came to office in April 2012, "will announce a new Cabinet in due course." It did not elaborate.

The presidency had said on Wednesday that Banda would meet her Cabinet the following day to discuss the financial scandal and who was responsible.

It did not disclose details of Thursday's meeting, but a senior government official, who asked not to be named, said Banda told the Cabinet that she had "lost faith" in them.

The scandal, known locally as "cashgate", forced the government to shut down its payment system last week so that it could investigate over $4-million that went missing, delaying the payment of salaries to teachers, nurses and doctors.

Banda, who faces an election next year, has won acclaim in the West for austerity measures and moves to bolster the economy of the aid-dependent, impoverished country.

But steps such as an IMF-backed devaluation of the kwacha currency have stoked inflation, raised the price of food for the rural poor and eroded Banda's domestic support.

The police said that about 10 junior government officials had been arrested so far for suspected graft, and that they had recovered tens of thousands of dollars in cash from their car boots and homes.

Budget director
A small group of protesters marched in the capital Lilongwe on Thursday and delivered a petition calling for the sacking of top officials, including Finance Minister Ken Lipenga, over the scandal. Lipenga has denied any wrongdoing. He was not immediately available for comment on Thursday.

Last week, envoys from eight Western donor nations, whose aid traditionally has accounted for about 40% of the state budget, asked Banda to deal with the alleged corruption at the treasury and investigate an attack on the budget director.

"These are worrying developments that potentially risk Malawi's stability, rule of law and reputation," the envoys said in a statement.

Budget director Paul Mphwiyo was shot last month, but survived the attack.

After the shooting, the government's Anticorruption Bureau and police launched an investigation into the budget director and unnamed ministers over suspected graft, indicating the scandal extended beyond just a few junior officials.

"People have lost confidence in [Banda's] leadership and the best thing she can do is to order the arrest of senior officials involved and ask her finance minister to resign," Lazarus Chakwera, leader of the opposition MCP, said at a public rally over the weekend.

Malawi's troubled economy has shown signs of improvement in the past few months with inflation that was once running over 30% easing slightly, while earnings from its main export tobacco are expected to double this year from 2012. – Reuters

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Mabvuto Banda
Mabvuto Banda works from Nairobi, Lilongwe. African journalist tweeting in my own capacity. Writes for Reuters, Inter Press, NewAfrican, and other leading publications Mabvuto Banda has over 10153 followers on Twitter.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Special Investigating Unit records detail Zweli Mkhize’s role in Digital...

In its court document, the SIU sets out its case against the alleged fraudulent and corrupt relationship between Digital Vibes, Mkhize and the health department — and asks for a tender worth R150-million to be set aside and money paid back

The basic income grant is surely on the horizon

It is becoming clear SA needs a BIG, as many ANC cabinet members, opposition parties and experts agree. But there is still dissent from some quarters

More top stories

Richard Calland: Cyril’s wicked cabinet conundrum

Three weeks ago, a second term for the president seemed a safe bet, but the insurgency has thrown the puzzle pieces in the air

ConCourt finds that protection of LGBT+ rights was intrinsic to...

The court also found that the term hurtful should be excised from the Equality Act in that it did not meet the justification threshold in the Constitution and gave Parliament 24 months to do so

State capture commission former secretary says allegations against him are...

Zondo wanted to know why tenders were awarded to a company that was publicly known to have been involved in corruption

Masondo mulls listing Eskom on the JSE as potential solution...

Deputy Finance Minister David Masondo says his comments were not the treasury’s official stance, but out-of-the-box thinking was needed to deal with the utility’s hefty deb
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×