Sale of corpses probed in Jo’burg

The Gauteng health department said on Monday they are probing claims of corpses being sold at the Charlotte Maxeke Academic Hospital in Johannesburg.

"The department [views] such allegations in a serious light and will not hesitate to take harsh measures against any employee who is found guilty of misconduct," health MEC Hope Papo said in a statement.

The investigation followed accusations that a body had been sold to an undertaker for R800.

The department also heard that hospital officials were in possession of undertaker stamps without permission, and that another body had been released from the hospital's mortuary to a funeral undertaker without the family's consent.

The department said three people implicated in the matter were relieved of their duties and transferred to other units. An investigation into how the body was released without permission was in progress.

Hospital management would await the results of the probe to determine if criminal charges should be laid. – Sapa

Keep the powerful accountable

Subscribe for R30/mth for the first three months. Cancel anytime.

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

International whistleblower awards honour four South Africans

Babita Deokaran, Thabiso Zulu, Francois van der Westhuizen and Pieter Snyders received international recognition at awards hosted by the Blueprint for Free Speech

July unrest proves sparks of social unrest pose a risk...

Third quarter GDP numbers have interrupted a four quarter economic growth streak because of the July unrest.

Zimbabweans living in South Africa might not be able to...

According to the government’s latest Covid-19 guidelines, anyone coming into Zimbabwe must quarantine in a hotel for 10 days — at their own expense

Fraud case just one example of governance failings at Basketball...

The sport body’s former national administrator allegedly stole money by substituting his own bank account details for a service provider’s
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×